Ice skating amid gleaming skyscrapers on a chilly winter evening is magical. Outdoor ice skating in Atlanta has become quite popular over the years, and the 10,000 square foot track style rink at Atlantic Station ice rink which is the largest outdoor ice rink in the southeast, is one of the coolest venues because of the location among gleaming skyscrapers. It’s the closest you can get to skating at Rockefeller Center without hopping a flight to NYC. The rink is open Nov. 17 – Jan. 21, 2019.
Due to construction in 2018, you’ll notice a new location for the ice rink (that is sponsored by Ford this year). Normally the Atlantic Station ice rink is tucked between high-rise buildings that act like gigantic functional icicles, just one block off of Central Park, where the giant holiday tree is located. Because of the construction this year the rink will be located where the BB&T tennis tournament was held.
For those who aren’t interested in skating, there is ample seating to watch in a nice climate controlled section with snacks like warm nuts, hot cocoa and other seasonal munchies or your favorite adult beverage.
After skating, or just watching, there is a lot of holiday fun within the Atlantic Station complex. See the lights, visit the Christkindl German Market, or get a bite at one of the 17 Atlantic Station restaurants. My favorite is the nightly snow shows, because who wouldn’t be excited to see snow in Georgia? Santa’s Cottage, ATL Christkindl Market, and the Snow Shows, will be located in the NE-corner of Atlantic Station this year.
For the little ones don’t miss the miniature train that takes them all around the station. Finish the night off with a stop at Kilwin’s for hot chocolate or other sweet treats.
Atlantic Station Ice Skating: Know Before You Go
- The parking deck for Atlantic Station is underground. Parking is free for up to two hours. For the 2018 rink, enter from Tower St. near stairwell #4 (purple) through Winter Wonder Lane.
- Atlantic Station ice skating rink has a pretty good-sized Zamboni (it’s actually a size for ice hockey rinks) to keep the ice smooth too.
- Skates are available from Toddler 10 to Adult 14. You can bring your own skates, but there is no discount to do so.
- For wee ones, double bladed skates are available, as well as skate trainers (for an additional $5)
- The Atlantic Station ice skating rink is completely outside, and uncovered, which makes it really cool, unless it rains, then not so much. The colder it is, the better the ice, so if there are wintery temperatures, just bundle up. However, when the weather is warm the ice won’t set up and it could be a bit watery, so know understand what to expect before you go.
- If you plan to come skating more than a couple times, purchasing a SEASON PASS is your best deal! After purchasing your season pass online, bring the Eventbrite ticket to the Skate the Station ticket counter to pick up your season pass card.
- If you purchase your ticket online you can skip the line – look for the skip the line signs.
- Tickets are valid at any time during operating hours on your selected date. There are no specific skating sessions each day.
- Tickets are available at the Skate Atlantic Station Atlanta ticket window on a first-come-first-serve basis.
- Lockers are available to store your valuables while you skate for $.50
Latest posts by Sue Rodman
- 25+ Reasons Why Lake Nottely is Blairsville’s Hidden Gem - 04/01/2019
- 10+ Sensational Special Events at Callaway Gardens, Ga. - 03/26/2019
- 25+ Awesome Drivable Weekend Getaways in Ga. - 03/19/2019