Snow! It’s a novelty for Southern children, especially when it gets deep enough to actually cover the ground and have some fun. But Mother Nature doesn’t have to cover the ground in white stuff to go snow tubing in NC — most of the ski resorts can do that on their own.
Here’s your guide to North Carolina tubing excitement. You’ll love these “cool” snow tubing spots!
HAWKS NEST TUBING
Hawksnest Snowtubing in Seven Devils, NC features 400- to 1000-foot-long tubing lanes, separated into four different tubing areas. The front two sections, including the longest run, is serviced by a magic carpet to bring you back up the hill.
The front sections are serviced by three moving carpet lifts, and the carpet is slow…so if you are physically able, or want a great workout, head to the back two sections. You’ll get in more runs by walking rather than waiting for the magic carpet conveyor belt. Staff are stationed at the top and bottom of each hill to keep things moving and help if needed.
Children must be able to touch the ground while inside the tube in order to ride alone (they need to put their feet down to stop themselves). My youngest is about 48 inches tall and had to ride with an adult. He didn’t care, but if you have really independent child, better warn them first.
Each snow tubing session is an hour and 45 minutes long. Book online in advance to reserve your spot.
WHERE TO STAY IN SEVEN DEVILS
Thinking about skiing this year with the kids? Check out these family-friendly ski resorts from Crazy Family Adventure!
WOLF TUBE AT WOLF RIDGE
Wolf Ridge is located just 5 miles off I-26 in the mountains of Western North Carolina near Asheville. In addition to North Carolina skiing, Wolf Ridge has a snow tubing run. Their snow tubing run is located just outside Wolf Ridge Ski Resort at 3461 Puncheon Fork Road.
Slide down the run then take a magic carpet lift back to the top to repeat the fun. The Tube Run also features snow making capability and a lighted hill for nighttime fun.
Featuring one big slope 60 feet wide at the top, 100 feet wide at the bottom and 350 feet long of sliding fun! No designated lanes means tubers have the option to link up tubes increasing the fun factor.
Wolf Ridge has also been called Wolf Laurel Ski Resort, so if you are looking at reviews, check out both Wolf Ridge and Wolf Laurel Ski Resort.
WHERE TO STAY NEAR WOLF RIDGE
Sapphire Valley Ski Resort in Sapphire NC, offers more than just skiing — they’ve got snow tubing too!
Frozen Falls Snow Tubing Park offers a 500-foot fun with a vertical drop of 60 feet! They also have a moving sidewalk to get you and your tube to the top, so you can get the most out of your 1 hour and 45 minute session.
And if you’re looking for even more adventure in the snow, Sapphire Valley also offers Winter Zipline Tours for ages 8 and up.
A favorite annual event in Sapphire — and a guaranteed good time — is the Great Outhouse races, held every year toward the end of the ski season. During the race, homemade outhouses are put on skis and sent down the hill for charity. (Of course!)
WHERE TO STAY IN SAPPHIRE VALLEY
Scaly Mountain in Scaly Mountain, NC has some thrilling snow tubing at their outdoor center! This location is great for Georgians, as it’s only 15 minutes from Dillard, GA. Even when Mother Nature doesn’t cooperate with snow, Scaly has snow-making equipment to make sure the tubing goes on!
Kids must be 42 inches tall, and at least 4 years old to ride. They also have a kiddie slope that is open for the little ones to tube, though. After snow tubing, check out their ice skating rink while you’re there!
WHERE TO STAY NEAR SCALY MOUNTAIN
Moonshine Mountain Snow Tubing Park in Hendersonville, NC has some of the steepest snow tubing in North Carolina!
This snow tubing NC park has over 500 feet of fun and excitement. You can tube as many times as you want during your 2-hour session. There’s also a Food Truck on site if you need to build your energy back after tubing.
Children must be at least 36 inches tall to ride and all children under 8 must be accompanied by an adult. The tubers lift has a 250 lb weight limit. You can still tube (up to 300 lbs) but if you weigh more than 250, you’ll have to walk to the top of the snow tube run.
WHERE TO STAY NEAR MOONSHINE MOUNTAIN
JONAS RIDGE NC
Jonas Ridge Snow Tubing in Jonas Ridge, NC (near Banner Elk, NC) has five lanes of snow tubing fun waiting for you.
Take the conveyor to the top and hold on for an exhilarating ride down one of the lanes on the Jonas Ridge snow tubing hill. Afterwards, warm up near the fireplace or watch others tube from the observation deck.
Jonas also has snow guns, so no worries if it hasn’t been a white winter. Recommended for ages 3 and up. All children under 6 must be accompanied by an adult at all times, and all children have to sit in a tube by themselves.
WHERE TO STAY NEAR JONAS RIDGE
BEECH MOUNTAIN TUBING
One of the newer places for snow tubing in North Carolina is at Beech Mountain Resort.
Located at the base of the ski slope, the snow tubing chutes are 700 feet long with a state-of-the-art magic carpet conveyer to the top. Kids must be 42″ to ride, and cannot ride on an adult’s lap. Snow tubing sessions here are 1 hour and 45 minutes long.
We love, love, love Beech Mountain, so be sure to get a lift ticket, too, and enjoy the entire resort!
WHERE TO STAY IN BEECH MOUNTAIN
SUGAR MOUNTAIN TUBING
Sugar Mountain is best known for some of the best skiing in North Carolina, but they also have snow tubing too!
Located on the Sugar Mountain Golf Course, the 700 ft long tubing lanes are serviced by a Magic Carpet lift. Snowmaking, lights for night tubing and regularly groomed lanes complete the facility.
Kids must be at least 3 years old to ride, and children 6 and under must ride with an adult. (Note: 3 and 4 year olds tube free with a ticketed adult.)
WHERE TO STAY IN SUGAR MOUNTAIN
MAGGIE VALLEY SNOW TUBING
Tube World, located in Maggie Valley, NC across from Ghost Town in the Sky, is the home of great snow tubing fun each winter! This snow tubing park is located just 4 miles from the Cataloochee Ski Area.
Their groomed slope is made for riding specially-designed inner tubes. You can ride their moving carpet lift to the top of the hill, then tube your way down the snow-covered run as many times as you want during your hour and 45 minute session.
Children must be 42″ to ride. Two person tubing is not allowed.
WHERE TO STAY NEAR MAGGIE VALLEY
TIPS FOR A GREAT DAY OF SNOW TUBING IN NC
After researching snow tubing in NC, I’ve noticed a few things you need to know before you go.
- Ask about Age Restrictions. Many of the snow tube parks require kids under a certain age to have a parent accompany them, or they must ride in the tube with the parent. My son had to ride with me at Hawks Nest and it wasn’t a big deal, but some kids may be upset by that if they don’t know before going.
- Ask about Weight Restrictions. On the low end for kids, but also on the high end for adults. If children are too light, the tubes can turn over easily. In addition, snow tubes can only support so much weight, so there may be a restriction on the high end too. Ask not only about the tubes, but the magic carpet or lifts. At Moonshine Mountain, anyone over 250 lbs must walk back up to the top vs. taking the lift.
- Is there more to do? Several snow tubing parks are part of NC ski resorts and offer skiing in NC, as well as other activities such as ice skating or a lodge. Some snow tubing establishments like Hawk Nest include zip lining. Know what’s offered before you go so you can either take advantage of the other activities, or let the group know you’ll only be snow tubing.
- North Carolina Snow. Just because you don’t see snow on the ground, doesn’t mean the there is no snow tubing in NC. Many of the snow tube parks have snow making abilities, so if Mother Nature doesn’t cooperate, that’s okay!
- Dress Warm. Even if the only North Carolina snow is man-made, it can still be cold, especially if the wind is whipping off the mountain. Dress warm.
MORE INFORMATION FOR YOUR TRIP TO NORTH CAROLINA
- YOUR NORTH CAROLINA VACATION
- NC SKI RESORT: Deets On The 6 Best North Carolina Ski Resorts
- APPALACHIAN SKI MOUNTAIN: Appalachian Ski Mountain NC: An Awesome Beginner Slope
- BEECH MOUNTAIN: Beech Mountain NC: 4 Absurdly Cool Ways to Frolic in the Snow
- CHEROKEE: 15 Things To Do In Cherokee NC That You Can’t Miss
We make no guarantees of any price listed on our site. We are not responsible for content on external web sites linked from ours, including linked resources, an external blog post, any partner site, hotel property sites, or affiliate sites. We only write about places we love in an attempt to help you in your adventures, but we can’t guarantee you will love them, too.
Posts may contain affiliate links at no cost to you. Several of our trips are also compensated by the respective tourism boards for the city or state we are visiting. This never impacts how we share the destination with you – opinions are always our own and we pride ourselves on that. We do not sell links or accept unsolicited guest posts under any circumstances. Don’t even ask.
United States Copyright, 365 Atlanta Family, LLC
- TREE SPIRITS OF ST SIMONS ISLAND: HOW TO FIND THESE HIDDEN TREASURES - 01/28/2023
- SECRET’S OUT: 35+ ALPHARETTA RESTAURANTS LOCALS LOVE - 01/15/2023
- 11 AWESOME SUMMER READING PROGRAM FREEBIES - 12/20/2022