Calhoun Ga and all of Gordon County is home to a rich Native American and Civil War history and is filled with an array of outdoor adventures, making it an ideal spot for adventurous families. And it’s a short drive and easy access from Atlanta and Chattanooga, TN.
Here’s everything you need to know to fill a wonderful weekend in Northwest Georgia.
OUTDOOR ADVENTURES IN CALHOUN GA
- The ROCK Garden – This adorable and FREE folk-art garden will put your kids’ imaginations in overdrive. From Notre Dame to Cinderella’s Castle, there is an entire world to explore here.
- Farm Fun – Payne Farm and Copper Creek Farm both offer great fun for families. You’ll find farm tours, U-Pick produce, seasonal events, and more. Don’t miss the strawberry and sunflower festivals, this is truly a beautiful region of Georgia for growing crops!
- Chattahoochee National Forest – Visit The Pocket recreation area, named for the steep wall of ridges surrounding it, or hike Keown Falls or the Pinhoti Trail, all accessible from Calhoun, Gordon County, Georgia, and within the Chattahoochee Forest.
- Carters Lake is one of our favorite places to hike, but did you know it is fed by the Coosawattee River? Not familiar? It’s where Deliverance was filmed! But don’t be scared – this is one of the most beautiful parts of the Georgia state!
- Oostanaula, Coosawattee and Conasauga Rivers – The Conasauga River might sound familiar, as we wrote about snorkeling there just a tad north of Gordon County. The rivers here are perfect for exploring on a hike or kayak. Try the boat ramp at Brookshire Park for access to the Oostanaula.
- Camping and Beach Play – Head to Salacoa Creek Park, where you can camp (RV or tent) and play on the beach of Defoor Walters Lake. It also includes two playgrounds, john boat rentals and a nature trail.
HISTORICAL ENCOUNTERS IN CALHOUN GA
- New Echota – The capital of the Cherokee Nation and where the Trail of Tears legislation originated, this State Historic Site is a must-see. The site features 12 original and reconstructed buildings, including the Council House, Court House and print shop.
- Roland Hayes Museum – Roland Hayes was a child of former slaves who became the first African American vocalist to achieve international acclaim. The Roland Hayes Museum, a tribute to this native son, is located inside the Harris Arts Center.
- Resaca and the Civil War – Do you know where the first major battle of the campaign was fought? Not in Atlanta, but in Gordon County – the town of Resaca to be exact. You can visit the third weekend in May for the annual reenactment of the battle of Resaca.
The Fort Wayne Civil War Historic Site here boasts the last known entrenchments built by the Georgia Militia, and the Resaca Confederate Cemetery is the oldest Confederate military ground in Georgia and the resting place of over 400 soldiers.
MORE EXCITING THINGS TO DO IN CALHOUN GEORGIA
- Calhoun GEM Theatre – A historic theatre, this restored treasure sits in downtown Calhoun city and is rented for various events by the community. BUT, it’s also home to weekend flicks and a few fun concerts. When family movies are playing, the price is only $5 for adults. Kids under 10 are FREE.
- Calhoun Premium Outlets – If shopping is your thing, then don’t miss the outlet mall here.
- Paradise Drag Strip – The drag strip was built from a cotton field in 1961, originally 1/4 mile long. It’s since been shorted to 1/8 mile and updated with new restrooms and more. Come watch the Sunday races and see if the track record of 4.43 seconds can be beaten.
WHERE TO EAT IN CALHOUN
- Bowman’s Restaurant – Slow-cooked home cooking like Grandma used to make. Ingredients come right from their farm!
- Dub’s High On The Hog – BBQ the way you like it.
- Calhoun Coffee Company – GREAT coffee, plus an extensive breakfast and lunch menu (including a fun kids menu).
- May – Battle of Resaca
- July – Star-Spangled Celebration
- Sept – NW Georgia Regional Fair
- Dec – Christmas Parades Concerts, Plays & Movies at theaters
MORE INFORMATION FOR YOUR TRIP TO GEORGIA
- YOUR GEORGIA VACATION
- DUNYA CAMP: Dunya Camp: A Secret Escape in Northwest Georgia
- NATIONAL PARKS: National Parks in Georgia: 11+ Awesome Adventures Perfect for Day Tripping
- GLAMPING: Glamping Georgia: 17+ Most Unique Places To Escape
- CLOUDLAND CANYON: 17+ Fun & Adventurous Things To Do At Cloudland Canyon State Park
WHERE TO STAY IN CALHOUN
We make no guarantees of any price listed on our site. We are not responsible for content on external web sites linked from ours, including linked resources, an external blog post, any partner site, hotel property sites, or affiliate sites. We only write about places we love in an attempt to help you in your adventures, but we can’t guarantee you will love them, too.
Posts may contain affiliate links at no cost to you. Several of our trips are also compensated by the respective tourism boards for the city or state we are visiting. This never impacts how we share the destination with you – opinions are always our own and we pride ourselves on that. We do not sell links or accept unsolicited guest posts under any circumstances. Don’t even ask.
United States Copyright, 365 Atlanta Family, LLC