What are the St. Simons Island Tree Spirits? Well if you look closely, down a side street, just off the main drag, past the tourists dashing about, you might find them. They are serene. Enchanting. Perhaps contemplating the changes their vessel has … Read More
Sophisticated, yet casual. That was my first thought when we opened the doors to the Jekyll Ocean Club Hotel, the newest hotel on Georgia’s Jekyll Island. Since our room wasn’t ready, we lounged on the comfy couches in the living … Read More
Jekyll Island, Ga. is the southern most island in Georgia’s Golden Isles. Unlike nearby St. Simons Island or Sea Island, state law protects 65 percent of Jekyll Island’s beaches and maritime forest from development. The remaining 35 percent is low … Read More
The Lady Jane Shrimp Boat cruise is the best family excursion along the Georgia coast. Our family has done it several times we like it so much. Each time is different, as you pull up and investigate what’s in the … Read More
The Spanish moss draped trees lined the course for foot golf. Georgia has several courses, but we played Sea Palms in St. Simons Island. One boy heading his soccer ball, one kicking it along, the other carrying it, running to … Read More
One of our favorite Junior Ranger programs is at Fort Frederica St. Simons Island, Ga. Fort Frederica guarded the coast from the Spanish who occupied nearby St. Augustine (at the Castillo de San Marco – another one of our favorite … Read More
Visitors make their escape to Sapelo Island, Ga., on a boat from Meridian, Ga., a port town between Savannah and St. Simons Island along I-95. (exit at Darien, Ga.)
Leave the modern world, and all your cares on the dock when you board the Sapelo Island Ferry, and let the wind take them into the miles of marshland you pass, to be washed out to sea with the next tide.
There is no mistaking the luxury of Sea Island. It begins the moment you travel down the long avenue; lined with palm trees, over the bridge with the large iron lanterns, through the guard gate where the pavement turns to a brick drive. Enjoying such luxury has become a little more affordable with a stay at The Inn at Sea Island.
Whether you have a little engineer or you’re the train addict, this list will update you on all the trains in Ga. From steam engines you can ride on through the mountains or plains to kiddie adventures in the park and mall, and from steam engines on display to life size replicas we hold dear, it’s our goal to create a COMPLETE list of trains throughout the state.
Most of the Georgia State Parks and Historic Sites have identified their “hidden gems” – those special attributes, trails or unusual elements that make them special. Some of these are available for anyone to see them (as long as you know what to look for) and others are only available through guided walks at certain times of the year. Below is a list of the hidden gems for each park, as well as a link to the special “Hidden Gem” events happening throughout the year.