The Spanish moss draped trees lined the course for foot golf. Georgia has several courses, but we played Sea Palms in St. Simons Island. One boy heading his soccer ball, one kicking it along, the other carrying it, running to catch up to play the next hole.
The boys were all about the competition in this soccer golf game. I enjoyed taking in the beauty of a manicured golf course. Foot Golf, soccer golf, whatever you call it, was so much fun. Here’s why, plus a guide to how to play and Georgia foot golf courses.
Foot Golf Georgia: Family Fun at Sea Palms Resort
The first tournament was played in the Netherlands in 2008 for foot golf. Georgia has a few courses, but the sport is still relatively new. So what is foot golf? It’s a combination of soccer and golf (soccer golf), played on a foot golf course.
Instead of hitting a ball with a club, you hit the soccer ball with your feet to see who can reach the hole in the least amount of kicks.
Foot Golf courses can be shorter holes on a regular golf course, or a special section of the course.
At Sea Palms, we played a regular nine-hole course, plus a practice hole, that was part of the regular course with everything from a Par 3 to a Par 5 hole. We kicked from special tee boxes separate from the regular golf tees, and had a separate green with a large hole for the soccer ball.
Foot Golf Rules
Sea Palms foot golf starts with a video in the clubhouse where they show you the soccer golf rules, which I looked up on the internet afterward as well. Apparently we violated the first rule in Foot Golf, wear the appropriate attire. We played in shorts and t-shirts. The appropriate attire is golf cap, collared shirt and argyle socks. However, according to the PGA, It’s really just golf attire. I guess the argyle is for the serious player.
As for the other nine rules, if you know the rules of golf, you pretty much know how to play foot golf. In addition to these rules, also adhere to the conduct code of golf. Let other golfers play through. Replace divots. Rack the sand trap when you leave. In addition to attire, this is the list of foot golf rules from the Professional Golfer’s Association.
- Your ball must be easy to identify.
- Review the score card and wait for your turn. Make sure you kick won’t interfere with other players
- The ball must be played in a single movement.
- Wait to play until the ball has completely come to rest. (You can’t stop it from rolling with the wind – unless of course it’s going into the water. We weren’t sure if soccer balls floated, but were pretty sure Sea Palms would want their ball back.)
- Kick off your ball from a position up to two meters behind the round markers (tee markers)
- Play the ball from where it lies; It’s not allowed to move the ball or removed jammed objects. (Oops, guess pulling it out of the puddle was a no-no. We did however kick it out of the palm fronds)
- The player farthest from the hole is the first to kick the ball.
- If the ball lands in a water hazard, retrieve or replace it within two steps from the closest land point from where the ball entered the water, receiving one penalty point, or you can place the ball at the position of the previous kick and receive one penalty point. (ok, so we can consider the puddle a water hazard)
- Only on the greens may the balls be picked up to be cleared.
Foot Golf (or Soccer Golf) Courses
Foot Golf is catching on in Georgia, but there are still only a few courses in addition to the Sea Palms course on St. Simons. If you are wondering, where is foot golf near me, here is a link to find American Foot Golf League courses around the country. Other courses in Georgia include Brickyard Plantation Golf Club in Americus, Taylor’s Creek Golf Course at Fort Stewart, Hunter’s Golf Course in Savannah. These are members of the association for foot golf. Atlanta has an additional course, Steel Canyon in Sandy Springs.
Soccer Golf Equipment
The best part of Foot Golf is you don’t need a lot of equipment. A #5 soccer ball is basically all that is needed. At Sea Palms you can rent the soccer ball, or bring your own. We walked the course, but you can also rent a cart for a slightly higher fee.
The best part about Foot Golf is it allows even non-golfers and young kids the opportunity to enjoy the beautiful golf course using soccer balls instead of clubs. My teens really enjoyed it too. I can see how a game like soccer golf would help get folks out to the golf course and comfortable out on the greens, eventually trying traditional golf. For the best traditional golf courses on St. Simons Island, visit our big St. Simons Island post.
- Visitors Guide to Walkable Neighborhoods in Nashville - 12/30/2020
- The 9 Coolest Places for Incredible Snow Tubing in NC - 12/16/2020
- 27+ Awesome Drivable Weekend Getaways in Ga. - 12/07/2020