For some, it’s been a while since the last big adventure or you simply need to update (or upgrade) your suitcase situation. Have no fear, we’ve got your back!
Luggage sets are always improving and making our lives easier. From built-in organizers to lightweight frames, suitcases are as fashionable as ever. Here are some of the best luggage sets out there for the next time you need some new bags.
OUR FEATURED PARTNERS
THE CUBO LUGGAGE SET IS A GAME-CHANGER
LOJEL has such an incredible mission that I am thrilled to partner with them: Buy less, but better.
This is a luggage set from the Cubo collection in my favorite color – they call it cactus. You can see that I’m visiting Keystone Resort with the Cubo Small and the Cubo Large. They also have two more sizes that fit between these – medium and fit.
The flat top opening means it’s easy to manage in smaller hotel rooms… Or, like our family, a regular-sized hotel room that must house four pieces of luggage plus our laptop and camera equipment (and 2 crazy kiddos!)
The small Cubo also has a top-open front compartment that makes it easy to get to travel essentials on the flight (so you don’t need an “extra” laptop bag for that trip.)
All the standard stuff is there, too… 360-wheels that are smooth as silk, expandable zipper for more space, a compact zipper that keeps your items more secure, a TSA luggage lock, and 9 amazing colors.
Free shipping. Free returns.
Yes, it costs more than some other luggage brands. But it lasts longer, and it’s built better. That helps Mother Nature, and in the end, it helps your wallet, too.
You might also like: 81 rockstar travel hacks for planes, trains and automobiles
COMPARE OUR SUGGESTIONS
*please note this comparison table is not visible on mobile or on MSN. If you're viewing this on MSN you can click here to see the table.
BEST OVERALL LUGGAGE SET
- Set includes 20" carry on (Meets carry-on size restrictions for those traveling domestically and looking to stay light) and 24"/28" spinners (Maximize your packing power and the ideal checked bags for longer trips)
- 10 year limited warranty: Samsonite products are rigorously tested to ensure our products meet stringent standards. This bag comes with a 10-year warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.
- Micro-diamond polycarbonate texture is extremely scratch-resistant, keeping cases beautiful trip after trip
- Side-mounted TSA locks act to deter theft, ensuring that only you or a TSA agent have easy access to your belongings when traveling
- 4, multi-directional oversized spinner wheels for effortless mobility, re-engineered lightweight
Let’s be honest, buying luggage in a set is nearly always the best deal. That’s certainly the case with this Samsonite 3-piece set. This hardshell suitcase set includes the three sizes of luggage you could ever need for even the longest of vacations. The smallest of which, the carry-on size, fits securely in the overhead bin so you don’t have to worry about picking it up on the carousel.
If you have yet to convert to hardshell suitcases (as I have in recent years) because they get easily marked up, have no fear. All three suitcases are scratch resistant, plus if you get a darker-colored case, the less likely you’ll see the scuffs. You can always purchase suitcase slipcovers as well, to not only protect your cases, but also differentiate them at pickup.
All three set pieces include built-in TSA locks, telescoping aluminum handles, 360-degree rotating wheels, and internal organizers to make commuting a breeze -- perfect for frequent travelers. You’d be surprised how compressed hardshell bags can make even the fullest of packs.
The bright spot of hardshell packing is that the cases don’t bow out as much (if at all) as soft-shelled suitcases, so if you overpack your bag will still most likely fit in the carry-on area.
BEST LUGGAGE SET WHEN AESTHETIC MATTERS
- SET Includes 21" Carry On (meets carry on size restrictions for those traveling domestically and looking to stay light) and 24"/28" Spinners (maximize your Packing power and the ideal checked bags for longer trips)
- 10 Year Limited Warranty: American Tourister products are rigorously tested to ensure our products meet stringent standards; This bag comes with a 10 Year Warranty against defects in materials and workmanship
- Book Opening CASE with mesh divider and cross straps in main compartment with a zipped modesty Pocket
- Four, Multi directional oversized spinner wheels for effortless mobility, re engineered lightweight
- 1.5" Expansion to allow you to pack more items and compression keeps clothing neatly pressed
Are you the kind of traveler who, like me, likes to have a suitcase with a little bit of flair? Hardshell luggage like this one comes in all kinds of colors, patterns, and textures these days. More often than not, they are just as durable as their plain counterparts, plus they make very photo-worthy travel companions.
This American Tourister set, for example, comes with matching pieces just like the Samsonite set above. Overhead bin-approved, the smallest piece of the set is a 21” carry-on size bag. I personally love the rose gold style (what can I say, I’m a millennial?) though any of the styles will help your bag stick out from the rest.
Should you want to go on adventures without a cover over your hardshell bag, there are plenty of simple ways to keep your gorgeous luggage looking its best. Warm water with dish soap and a soft rag will get the majority of junk off of your suitcase’s exterior. For trickier scuffs, try a magic eraser or equivalent, or even some regular toothpaste. I’ve managed to get even nasty-looking marks off of my bags with both.
If all else fails, why not slap some cute vacation stickers on that suitcase? I pick one up everywhere I take my favorite hardshell carry-on!
BEST LARGE LUGGAGE SET SELECTION
- SET INCLUDES 20" CARRY ON (meets carry-on size restrictions for those traveling domestically and looking to stay light) and 24"/28" Spinners (maximize your packing power and the ideal checked bags for longer trips)
- 10 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY: Samsonite products are rigorously tested to ensure our products meet stringent standards. This bag comes with a 10-year warranty against defects in materials and workmanship
- FOUR, MULTI-DIRECTIONAL SPINNER WHEELS for effortless mobility, re-engineered lightweight
- SIDE-MOUNTED TSA LOCKS act to deter theft, ensuring that only you or a TSA agent have easy access to your belongings when traveling
- 1.5" EXPANSION to allow you to pack more items and compression keeps clothing neatly pressed
As far as space goes, these sets from Samsonite are an over-packer's dream. Between the carry-on and checked bag sizes, these expandable hardshell pieces have plenty of room for those extra outfits you can’t decide on. Not to mention, the built-in organizational features, oversized zippers, and dividers.
A perk to buying from the luggage brand, Samsonite, includes their 10-year limited warranty, which protects you from faulty equipment. Having used their warranty for backpacks in the past, I can personally attest that their service team is efficient and incredibly helpful in a pinch.
OR ADD THIS TO YOUR EXISTING LUGGAGE SET
- 3-Layer, 100% virgin makrolon polycarbonate material is high-strength, lightweight, and provides elasticity and resiliency
- Scratch-resistant textured case minimizes unwanted marks
- Outside handle provides greater interior capacity and a smooth surface for packing so clothes arrive wrinkle-free
- Aircraft-grade aluminum telescoping handle system with 3 stop heights; v-groove handle tubes are stronger and less jamming; ergonomic Outsider handle grip
Not everyone wants to invest in a new, full set of suitcases. Or you’d rather have one big checked bag than a bunch. In that case, meet the Briggs & Riley TORQ. This big fella is a 30-inch luggage bag with the same scratch-resistant exterior, telescoping handle, and fully rotating wheels, just with a much larger capacity.
(Do keep in mind that all airlines have different policies on checked baggage. Always know those regulations before getting to the airport. It’ll save you a lot of time and overcharging.)
THE LUGGAGE SET FLIGHT ATTENDANTS USE
- HIGH PERFORMANCE CARRY ON: Four double swivel spinner wheels for smooth, effortless 360° navigation and long rolling life. Large u-zip front pocket for hassle-free access to extra items; slip pocket fits up to 15" laptop
- LUGGAGE LIFETIME : Extensive quality and durability tested. If your bag is ever broken or damaged, even by an airline, Briggs and Riley will repair it for free.
- WRINKLE FREE PACKING: Outsider handle system for wrinkle-free flat packing; provides greater interior capacity and increased packing space by keeping the handle bars on the outside
- LIGHTWEIGHT & QUALITY MATERIAL: Lightweight micro weave nylon outer fabric is soft to the touch yet durable, and resists wear, moisture, dirt and abrasion
- EASY ORGANIZED PACKING: Compression garment panels keep contents from shifting in transit; single buckle with cinch-down webbing strap for easy operation
Have you ever wondered what durable luggage flight attendants use? With all of the flying they do for work, they must rely on some top-quality pieces to get them from point A to point B, right?
You’ve got it! Many frequent flying FAs utilize Briggs & Riley gear. These stylish pieces don’t just look good, they’re made to last. B&R features quality luggage sets, so much so that they have a lifetime warranty on their pieces. If your bag is ever damaged or broken by yourself, your airline, or anyone else, they’ll repair or replace it.
(Keep in mind that B&R pieces do not come sold in sets, however, you can purchase different sizes to create your own perfect set.)
MOST QUALITY, AFFORDABLE BASIC LUGGAGE
- Three-piece set of hard-side suitcases with multidirectional spinner wheels and interior mesh zip compartment
- Includes 20 inch, 24 inch , 28 inch Upright
- Sturdy ergonomic aluminum telescoping handle
- Due to differences in monitors/screens - Actual product color may appear slightly different than shown on the site.
For those looking for a more budget-friendly luggage set option, Rockland has some great basic luggage sets. These hardshell sets include carry-on luggage along with two checked bag-sized suitcases. Like their more spendy counterparts, these suitcases also have telescoping handles, 360-degree rotating wheels, and some organizational capabilities.
Don’t let the cost of these pieces deter you. Cost does not always equate to real value, especially with something as precarious as luggage. If marks are a concern for these less expensive models, consider getting a cover to protect your investment.
OR IF YOU PREFER SOFT SIDES
- Upright: 20" x 13" x 7.5" (with wheels)
- Tote bag: 13.5"x 11"x 5"
- Inline skate wheels and stability bar
- Telescoping handle
- Ergonomic padded top and side grip handles
Hardshell cases have gotten all the glory so far, yet soft-sided cases like these made from durable polyester are a longstanding traveler favorite for a reason. Soft-sided cases will look good longer than their hardshell counterparts because they aren’t as easily scuffed. At the same time, they are more likely to get booted from the overhead compartment for being packed too full.
Still, soft-sided cases are often less expensive than hardshell, and also come in a wide variety of patterns. Not to mention a lot of soft-sided sets include an under-the-seat bag to match the rest of your luggage. Who doesn’t love a matching set?
FASHIONABLE LUGGAGE SET FAMILIES ADORE
- Warranty：Two Years Warranty. PLEASE NOTE SELECT SET: family set has 4 pcs, please ignore the product title and select the set you need.
- Three piece luggage set 20 inch,24 inch,28 inch upright,can be stored one into another.100% abs,Lightweight yet extremely durable abs material
- spinner wheels,multidirectional smooth and silent 360°wheels
- Sturdy ergonomic aluminum telescoping handle
- Interior mesh zip pocket and elasticated,Squared full-capacity design
Families traveling together (especially if they’re checking multiple bags) love matching sets for a reason. There are only so many suitcase exteriors you can memorize and haphazardly grab off the baggage carousel. That’s why sets like these from COOLIFE luggage are so well loved. All the pieces of luggage match to make identifying family bags a breeze.
Plus COOLIFE’s family set has a 2-year warranty which means less worrying about luggage breakage at home or abroad.
The four-piece set includes a carry-on bag and three checked bag size pieces. It could help the family remember who packed what in where to put an identifying sticker or nametag on each bag so there is no fussing in paradise...or LAX.
OUR FAVORITE LUGGAGE ACCESSORIES
As someone who loves packing for a trip, luggage accessories are something I’m way too excited about. Being a good travel packer takes time, practice, and a lot of failures, so learn from my mistakes on this, okay?
Hear me out. Even if your suitcase has a zipper compartment in which you can contain your dirty clothes in, a laundry bag is a must. I can guarantee you the zipper compartment does not contain the smell of those long-walked-in athletic socks or your sulfur thermal pool scented swimwear. A laundry bag will keep the rest of your stuff from stinking like dirty clothes.
That’s not the whole point, though. A laundry bag will also protect the inside lining of your suitcase. Linings are often not able to be fully removed and cleaning them is a big pain. Take it from someone who once had to clean dog pee out of a suitcase lining–it’s not worth the hassle if it’s preventable. Bring a laundry bag. Thank me later.
To be honest, this is becoming less and less of a necessary travel accessory. A lot of suitcases now come with built-in TSA locks. But, on the off chance you have one that doesn’t, it is certainly worth the small investment. For your own sanity (and that of TSA), these locks protect your valuables from anyone who doesn’t need to be in your suitcase.
Packing cubes are my packing hill to die on. Once I started using them I was hooked. Not only do they keep your belongings tidy, but they also compress your pack down to a more manageable size.
I am currently near the end of a five-week backpacking trip through Europe. I have a 40L hiking backpack and a 15L daypack for that whole time. All the clothes I brought with me fit in my large and small packing cubes. By utilizing these handy pieces I was able to condense the biggest part of my pack into the bottom of my bag and it took up less than ⅓ of my space.
For context I was able to fit all of this (as a plus-sized woman) into my cubes without even expanding them into their biggest sizes: 4 tank tops, 1 cotton cardigan, 1 cotton short, 2 rompers, 1 linen pant, 1 swimsuit, 1 bra, 2 bralettes, 7 pairs of socks, and 7 pairs of underwear.
Shoe bags get the same justification as laundry bags, with more emphasis. Nothing in your pack is going to be as dirty or gross as your shoes. Having durable shoe bags (which can easily be washed) will keep the outside world on your shoe treads away from the rest of your things.
Folks who check bags have long appreciated the luggage strap. Though anyone who doesn’t will still appreciate their versatility. Straps not only keep bags together, but they can also keep personal items perched nicely on top of a rolling carry-on bag to make wandering through airports or busy streets a breeze. Straps take up very little room and, depending on what kind you have, can even stay on your bag in your hotel room if space is a concern.
HOW TO CHOOSE A LUGGAGE SET
When it comes down to luggage, like travel, it’s all about what you prefer. Everyone’s needs vary widely, so always take your own packing needs into consideration first. Over time too, you may decide you like one kind of suitcase over another, or you are a diehard checked bag aficionado. No matter your luggage lifestyle, we want you to have all the info you need to make the right choice.
Generally, a carry-on-sized bag will be no more than 21-22 inches. Keep in mind that a suitcase’s size upon purchase may not be its true size when packed totally full. So always measure your bags or weigh them so you don’t get stuck with checked bag fees you weren’t anticipating at the airport.
As for a basic rule of thumb for what size: use the graphic below for details. Though everyone’s packing style is different. I personally can pack for two weeks (or more) in just a carry-on bag and a personal item. So take the general idea shown below with a grain of salt.
HARD OR SOFT SIDES
Although we are recommending mostly hard-side suitcases here, it’s really all about preference. Each kind of suitcase has its own pros and cons. Some of their biggest differences are:
- More expensive
- More easily scuffed/cracked
- Better for compression
- Less likely to bow
- More often have 360-degree rotating wheels
- Less expensive
- More durable
- More likely to bow out/overpack
- Less versatile wheels
- Often have more packing capacity
USB ports and batteries are fairly common additions to suitcases these days. Though none of the ones we have recommended include those features. We generally don’t like the built-in USB ports or batteries because they break easily. Instead, just invest in a high-quality portable power bank.
Obviously, the durability of luggage is important if it’s being lugged around or thrown about. A lot of suitcase manufacturers include warranties of some kind, either upon purchase or registration. Lifetime warranties are especially great because, hopefully, you’ll be using your luggage for a long time.
Durability is often linked to what kind of suitcase is being considered, because each kind of suitcase shell has its own durability issues. Hardshells can crack and softshells can burst at the zipper, among other things. Always read reviews before making a big purchase. Other customers’ misfortunes could save you from your own.
Suitcases can be an investment. How much you spend on them really depends on what you need to get out of it. Are you a frequent flier who needs the dependability of a pricier brand name with a lifetime warranty or are you an infrequent traveler who isn’t worried about wearing out their suitcase? Your answer will determine what you can or should spend on a new set of luggage.
SINGLE PIECE OR A SET
Once again, your travel habits will determine if you need to get one piece or a few pieces of luggage. Engaged couples have been known to put luggage sets on their registry to hang on to for years, so that might be a thought. Otherwise, there’s nothing wrong with mismatched luggage sets.
One perk to owning a set is that they can often nest within one another for easy storage. Whereas single carry-on suitcases? Not so much.
The biggest safety feature that comes built-in for a lot of suitcases right now is the TSA-approved lock. Other safety measures can be taken after buying to ensure that someone else doesn’t wander off with your bag. Tying ribbons to the handle, and using colorful covers, stickers, or other identifying markers are easy ways to know that your cobalt blue suitcase isn’t the same cobalt blue suitcase as 21B.
MORE INFORMATION FOR YOUR NEXT VACATION
- MORE PACKING LISTS AND PRODUCT REVIEWS
- BEACH PACKING: The Ultimate Beach Packing List For Your Next Vacation
- SKI TRIP PACKING: 47 Things You Need To Bring (+Snowboarding, Too!)
- BACKPACK COOLERS: 6 Best Backpack Cooler Options You'll Love
- COWBOY BOOTS: 9+ Absolute Best Cowboy Boots For Women You'll Love
Follow us here: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | YouTube | MSN | TripAdvisor | Flipboard
We make no guarantees of any price listed on our site. We are not responsible for content on external web sites linked from ours, including linked resources, an external blog post, any partner site, hotel property sites, or affiliate sites. We only write about places we love in an attempt to help you in your adventures, but we can’t guarantee you will love them, too.
Posts may contain affiliate links at no cost to you. Several of our trips are also compensated by the respective tourism boards for the city or state we are visiting. This never impacts how we share the destination with you – opinions are always our own and we pride ourselves on that. We do not sell links or accept unsolicited guest posts under any circumstances. Don’t even ask.
United States Copyright, 365 Atlanta Family, LLC
- 22 Outstanding Things To Do in Charlottesville VA - 05/11/2023
- 19+ Fun Things To Do in Shreveport & Bossier City - 03/11/2023
- 9+ Absolute Best Cowboy Boots for Women That You’ll Love - 09/06/2022
Last update on 2023-05-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API