What’s up with indoor skydiving, Atlanta?
The iFly indoor skydiving experience in Atlanta, Georgia gives you the thrill of skydiving, without the whole “jumping out of a plane” thing. After you get suited up and complete your training session, you’ll be able to step into the state of the art vertical wind tunnel and “fly.” It’s a great experience, and one we can’t recommend enough.
We visited with our kids when they were younger, and had a great time! Here are all the details you’ll want to know before you head out to iFly Atlanta.
WHO CAN FLY?
Indoor skydiving at iFly Atlanta is available to everyone who is 3 years old and up. Even Grandma and Grandpa can join! When we went, our youngest was 4 years old, and he loved every minute of it. You can prep younger children by watching videos beforehand so they know what to expect.
There are also weight restrictions for safety reasons. iFLY may not be able to accommodate flyers who weigh between 260-300 lbs and will not be able to accommodate flyers whose weight exceeds 300 lbs.
There is no height restriction.
INDOOR SKYDIVING ATLANTA: HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
iFLY offers various packages, but each First-Time Flyer package includes your training session, use of all the flight gear, your flight time in the tunnel, hands on personal assistance from your instructor and a personalized flight certificate.
Pricing at iFly Atlanta starts at just under $70. They have a lot of different packages and special offers, though.
The 2 Flights Super Saver is the $69.99/person package, which includes two flying sessions. You can also pick 3-, 4-, and 5-flight packages. The Friends and Family 10 flights package gets you 10 flights for up to 5 people, so the whole crew can join in the fun.
You’ll also want to include the High Flights experience. It is $10 extra, and with an instructor, you ZOOOOM to the top of the tunnel for the last 30 seconds of your second 60-second fly. It is well worth the $10, and seems like a lifetime longer than 30 seconds!
Get Your Guide offers tickets to iFly Atlanta, and it’s a great place to get them in advance.
iFly Atlanta also offers special discounts for military, teachers, healthcare professionals, and first responders for weekday flights.
Photos and video are also additional. If you buy the video at the location, on the day you fly, it is $8 per video. Otherwise, it is $10. We bought 4 videos (1 for each of us) and got to pick from which flights we wanted the video – so it was easy to pick the best ones!
Photos are also cheaper when you buy them up front. Totally worth it! The photos are high-res, so you can zoom in tighter if you want.
They also host birthday parties, corporate events, and private events here.
Want to explore more of Atlanta’s great attractions? Try some of these fun experiences.
- Take in the views on the SkyView Ferris Wheel. Enjoy sweeping views of downtown Atlanta and the surrounding metropolitan area with this ticket for the SkyView Ferris. Ride in comfort with a group of up to 6 in climate-controlled, private gondolas.
- Skip the ticket line at Georgia Aquarium. Enjoy skip-the-purchase-line tickets to the Georgia Aquarium, which has an interactive 4D theater and 7 different areas containing more than 10 million gallons of water and thousands of sea creatures.
- See the animals at Zoo Atlanta. Discover giant pandas, stroll through the African Savanna, and visit over 1,500 animals at Zoo Atlanta. Spend a day out that includes something for everyone including a range of fun activities for kids.
DO I REALLY NEED TO GET THERE EARLY?
YES! You need to arrive about 15 minutes before your flight time. You’ll check in and talk about the extras you want to purchase, watch a video, and get further instructions from your flight coach. Then you’ll need to suit up with your flight suit, goggles, helmet, and shoes (wear sneakers or lace-up shoes)!
If you have long hair, make sure to have it braided or pulled back in a low bun so your helmet will fit correctly.
You’ll also get a locker to store your purse, wallet, keys, etc. No jewelry is allowed in the tunnel, so you can store your watch and rings there or leave them at home.
There is a small little gift shop if you want to pick up a souvenir. There is plenty of seating and big screen TVs for watching everyone perform!
INDOOR SKYDIVING ATLANTA: WHAT ABOUT *MY* PICS AND VIDEO
As I mention earlier, you can purchase video and pics from iFly. You can also video and take as many pictures as you want from outside the flight chamber. BUT, once you go into the tunnel, there are no cameras or videos allowed — you’ll have to store them in your locker.
And let me be more clear about what it means to be “in the tunnel.” The tunnel includes and “inner” tunnel where you are flying high with your instructor. But it also includes the “outer” tunnel where you and your family and classmates (maybe about 8 or so) are waiting in line for your turn in the inner tunnel.
So, if you are flying with your family like we did, you all go into the outer tunnel area together. So, from that moment on, you have no video or photos unless you bring non-flyers with you (like grandparents) or you purchase video from iFly.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER WE’RE SUITED UP?
After you’re suited up, you’ll wait a few moments for the class before you to finish and file out of the tunnel. Then you and your class file into the tunnel via a different door. You’ll have a seat on the bench while the instructor gets ready. Then, he’ll call the first person up to the door. They will enter with him and fly for 60 seconds. Again, it sounds short but it feels like forever!
You’ll know your 60 seconds are almost up because a light starts blinking. The instructor will get you to the door, and you pull yourself from the inner tunnel to the outer tunnel, then head to the back of the line. Everyone scoots up on the bench, as the next person is heading into the inner tunnel.
After each person goes once, then you gear up for round 2, which includes the High Fly (if you paid for it). Our instructor hurt his shoulder and wasn’t able to take us on the high fly, so another instructor stepped in and flew us up at just the right time.
Two things I noticed: It was hard to get my legs in the right place because of everything else I was concentrating on…and I drooled a lot in the tunnel. Ha! Just being honest…I’m guessing this is normal. Just want you to be prepared! The instructors are super nice and helpful, and didn’t seem to mind.
After everyone finishes their second flight, the instructor shows his stuff in the tunnel for a few minutes. They are AMAZING to watch – even more so after you already KNOW how difficult it can be. Then everyone files out.
You’ll hand your suit back to the instructor, get your things out of the locker, and you’re ready to go. Once you are home, you can log in to see your photos and videos. They are available to view at the location, but it’s a bit tricky, so I recommend just waiting until you get home.
OTHER THINGS TO KNOW
So, what other things to do you need to know about iFly Atlanta, besides knowing it’s a lot of fun?
- The iFLY experience lasts approximately an hour and 45 minutes start to finish. This will cover your check-in time, the training session, your flight time, and time after your flight to remove gear and look at photos and video if interested. Save time by completing your waiver ahead of time.
- If you’re a first-time flyer, don’t expect to be doing crazy tricks during your time in the tunnel. Tricks or flips are done by experienced flyers only. Some flyers are able to do turns, move up and down, and forward and backward during their first flight, though!
- The wind tunnel is loud! They give you ear plugs to help with the noise, but if you have child-sized ones, they may be good to bring from home for your little ones.
- They recommend you make reservations for your flight experience in advance to make sure you get the time slot and day you want.
- There are no tandem skydives here — it’s just you in the tube with your instructor helping you out.
- They do offer iFly vouchers and gift cards! An experience gift is always an amazing choice.
MORE INFORMATION FOR YOUR TRIP TO ATLANTA
- YOUR GEORGIA VACATION
- ATLANTA: 53+ Things To Do In Atlanta You Should Not Miss (From Locals In The Know)
- FERNBANK: Why Fernbank Museum Is The Best Museum In Atlanta For Kids
- AQUARIUM: Atlanta’s Beloved Attraction Lives Up To The Hype
- ZOO ATLANTA: 9 Big Questions (+ Answers) That Everyone Asks About Zoo Atlanta
We make no guarantees of any price listed on our site. We are not responsible for content on external web sites linked from ours, including linked resources, an external blog post, any partner site, hotel property sites, or affiliate sites. We only write about places we love in an attempt to help you in your adventures, but we can’t guarantee you will love them, too.
Posts may contain affiliate links at no cost to you. Several of our trips are also compensated by the respective tourism boards for the city or state we are visiting. This never impacts how we share the destination with you – opinions are always our own and we pride ourselves on that. We do not sell links or accept unsolicited guest posts under any circumstances. Don’t even ask.
United States Copyright, 365 Atlanta Family, LLC