The High Museum of Art is a great place to explore for all ages. With permanent collections, special exhibitions, kid-centered spaces, and special events throughout the year, there is always something amazing happening at the High.
The High Museum is arguably the best art museum in the Southeast, and a High Museum Membership is a great way to see the artwork and participate in their events year-round.
Here are 11 reasons why a High Museum Membership is a great choice!
11 REASONS TO GET A HIGH MUSEUM MEMBERSHIP
SAVE SOME DOUGH
You save money! General admission tickets are $18.50 per person. A family of four would only have to visit the High twice a year to spend more than the General Dual/Family Membership fee. This means any visit thereafter would be FREE, as Memberships include unlimited admission to museum collections and special exhibitions, free parking, and two tickets to every Friday Jazz and HIGH Frequency Friday.
For $125, the Dual/Family Membership includes passes for two cardholders for the year, free admission for children 17 and under, occasional free parking at the Woodruff Arts Center garage (subject to availability), four complimentary guest passes (more below), up to five $5 admission tickets for your guests, shopping and dining discounts, and so much more. Plus, you’ll get exclusive discounts on camps, classes, and workshops.
FIRST IN THE KNOW
Members receive unique invitations to exclusive previews, tours, and events, as well as a free subscription to HMA magazine, and weekly membership e-newsletters — so you won’t miss out on anything happening at the museum.
DISCOUNTS ON GIFTS AND FOOD
Who doesn’t love special discounts? Membership to the High gets you 10% off in the Museum Shop, along with CJ’s Cafe.
Your membership also entitles you to special offers on gift memberships.
Members receive exclusive discounts on camps, classes, and workshops throughout the year. All of the interactive opportunities offered at The High allow you and your family to immerse yourself in the arts.
BUILD A BUDDING ARTIST EARLY
It’s never too early to expose your little one to art. Even infants will enjoy getting out of the house and being stimulated by the colors and shapes in many works of art. The High offers a special gallery just for families, in addition to special programming for kids of all ages—from Toddlers to Teens.
Enjoy these events:
- Toddler Thursdays – Designed for children ages 15 months through three years and their caregivers. Engage children’s creativity and explore monthly topics with related artwork and self-guided tours, as well as new art-making activities to drop in for each week.
- Weekend HIGHlights Tours – Engage directly with works of art in the galleries through docent-led HIGHlights tours every Saturday and Sunday at 1 p.m. All tours are free with museum membership and no reservations are required.
- Teen Art Afternoon – Experiment, explore, and create at Teen Art Afternoon! Join the Teen Team for art making, tours, and more from 2–4 p.m. on the first Saturday of each month. Free for teens!
- HIGH Frequency Fridays – Friday of every month from 6 to 10 p.m., you can count on the High to bring you a moment of respite and fun in the galleries. HIGH Frequency Fridays are here every month to bring you a soundtrack to enhance your art experience.
- Friday Jazz – Mark your calendar for live jazz at the High, on the third Friday of every month, you’ll enjoy music, drinks, and art. Each month will feature a different style of jazz, from straight ahead to free jazz, bebop to swing, and more. Seating for Friday Jazz opens at 6 p.m. It is limited and available on a first come, first served basis.
Please visit their website to find out about events that might interest you and your family.
BRING YOUR FRIENDS
Something to do! Is it cold outside? Relatives in town? Art museums are a great place to have a playdate, take guests or just kill a couple of hours. The family membership offers four guest passes.
With both indoor and outdoor spaces, as part of the High and Woodruff Arts Center, there are spaces for kids to blow off steam, enjoy a meal, take a class, and of course, view the exhibits…all perfect playdate ingredients.
Plan your visit ahead of time. Their website has a Create Maps and Find section, so you can log in to save favorites to your account and save artwork, create maps, and more. It’s easy to create an account.
HAVE A MEMBERSHIP, WILL TRAVEL
Reciprocal membership benefits, such as free or discounted admission at 1,200+ museums through the North American Reciprocal Museum Association (NARM) and the Reciprocal Organization of American Museums (ROAM).
This option starts with the $182 Contributing Dual/Family Membership. This is perfect for the family who travels and wants something fun and free to do/experience.
Membership includes free parking in the Woodruff Arts Center parking garage during Museum hours. Please note, parking in the Woodruff Arts Center garage is very limited, and free parking is subject to availability.
This benefit is limited to daytime museum visitation (Tuesday–Saturday, 10 a.m.–5 p.m.; Sunday, 12 noon–5 p.m., excluding Second Sundays). Limit one validation per day per membership.
Don’t forget…street parking is free for everyone on Sundays. Another great option is hopping on MARTA.
Membership includes complimentary caregivers benefits too!
Choose the Family Membership level and get free entrance for your babysitter or nanny, allowing them to bring kids for toddler time, family tours and special activities.
EXPAND YOUR ARTISTIC HORIZONS
The High Museum is part of Woodruff Arts Center and being a Member entitles you discounts on select tickets to the Alliance Theatre and Atlanta Symphony Orchestra performances.
BRING A FRIEND AND A LINCOLN
The more, the merrier. Invite your friends! Once you’ve used up all your free guest passes that come with your Membership, admission is just $5 per ticket for up to five guests per visit.
This makes it the perfect place for an inexpensive moms group playdate or to bring your out-of-town guests. It’s a great deal, because regular tickets are $18.50 each.
If you’re not sure that a membership is for you, go visit one weekend. THEN, when you fall in love with it like we have, you can turn in those tickets before you leave and apply the cost towards a membership.
It’s the perfect “try before you buy” opportunity.
MORE INFORMATION FOR EXPLORING ATLANTA
- YOUR GEORGIA VACATION
- ATLANTA: 53+ Things To Do in Atlanta You Should Not Miss (From Locals in the Know)
- MUSEUMS: 41+ Fascinating Museums in Atlanta Your Family Will Adore
- GEORGIA AQUARIUM: Atlanta’s Beloved Attraction That Lives Up to the Hype
- FREE ATLANTA: 50+ Free Things To Do in Atlanta (That Don’t Suck)
WHERE TO STAY IN ATLANTA
We make no guarantees of any price listed on our site. We are not responsible for content on external web sites linked from ours, including linked resources, an external blog post, any partner site, hotel property sites, or affiliate sites. We only write about places we love in an attempt to help you in your adventures, but we can’t guarantee you will love them, too.
Posts may contain affiliate links at no cost to you. Several of our trips are also compensated by the respective tourism boards for the city or state we are visiting. This never impacts how we share the destination with you – opinions are always our own and we pride ourselves on that. We do not sell links or accept unsolicited guest posts under any circumstances. Don’t even ask.
United States Copyright, 365 Atlanta Family, LLC